Monday, September 23, 2019

Fall Cleaning 101: The Spic-and-Span Basics 


I love setting smart, bite-sized goals.  What does a bite-sized goal entail, you ask?  Well its simple, it’s my monthly checklist broken down.   Is there anything more satisfying than completing a long checklist of to-do tasks? The simple act of crossing off items on your to-do list is a delightful feeling.

With the first Monday of Fall, I have officially compiled my fall cleaning checklist. This list is going to be more in depth than my Spring-cleaning list. 

The first item on my list is the seasonal rotation. All upholstered items get laundered and exchanged for the upcoming colder weather.  For my house this includes; heavier blankets on the beds with clean matching drapes.  I will also take the time to flip my mattresses for longevity reasons. 

Next I focus heavily on my bathroom(s) and kitchen.  Both rooms have cabinetry that gets neglected during the usual cleaning of the home. Based on the type of cabinets you have (mine are oak), I like to clean them with a mild degreaser, such as, Method, followed by a Murphy’s Oil Soap to give it a nice glossy finish.  Of course, I must use this disclaimer, the cleaning process will be different based on the material you are cleaning.

I will also take the time to change out all of cabinet liners that might have become dusty throughout the year.

The tile grout in the bathroom and kitchen will need a good scrubbing. Simply dusting and mopping with not clean the grout as good as you would think. However, make sure that you’re not using a very abrasive brush. As lame as it sounds, I use a soft toothbrush with some oxy-clean.  This makes the grout look brand new. 

Pertaining to the bathroom, another neglected item is cleaning out the exhaust fan. May I suggest that you do with a garbage can below.  You wouldn’t believe how much lint I removed from my fan the other day.  Best part was I just finished cleaning my bathroom.  Womp, womp, womp!!!!

So, this item can be a little tricky. No matter how much you clean your bathtub and surround, you will always get the nasty black caulk around the tub.  Don’t feel bad, it happens to everyone.  I used to hire a professional to re-caulk my tub every year but found that I did it better myself.  This can be costly if you have it done by a professional, but it makes a world of difference aesthetically. 

Once those items are complete an all-around cleaning of the bathroom; including toilet, toilet seat, bathroom accessories, faucets, sinks, etc.

Moving on to the kitchen----

Your refrigerator is arguably one of the most important appliances in your home - after all, it keeps your food from spoiling, saving you from many trips to the grocery store. However, refrigerators are not indestructible.

Condenser coils are located on the back of the fridge or across the bottom, depending on the type of refrigerator you own. When the coils are clogged with dirt and dust, they can’t efficiently release heat. The result is your compressor works harder and longer than it was designed to, using more energy and shortening the life of your fridge.

Clean the coils with yet again a toothbrush and vacuum.  Also, don’t forget about the dust bunnies under the refrigerator. 

All other appliances should be cleaned inside and out.  And for the lucky ones, this might be a good time to push that little button on your oven that says, ‘Self Clean’. Just make sure you take any items out before you do.

General cleaning of all other surfaces will make your kitchen look spic and span. 
All other items that should be addressed in your home is as follows: 

Clean and dust light fixtures, Wipe down all handles, doorknobs, etc. Dust and/or wash mini blinds and other blinds and shades Dust blades of ceiling fans and other hard to reach areas, such as tops of doors, etc. Wash windows and window screens wash mirrors and most important, declutter and organize.

Now let’s make Danny Tanner proud and get to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment