Summer is Fast Approaching! and with summer, comes. “Mom, I’m bored” or “Oops, I was only trying to help.”
As a mischievous adolescent, I have had my share of “Oopsies.” Let’s go back to 1990. I for one never understood the saying, less is more. One day my mom had a few cycles of laundry to get done by days’ end. I remember vividly how this was a daily task that seemed to never end with 5 people living in the house. Somehow in my head I decided to help mom expedite the process by adding a ½ bottle of detergent to a load of laundry. As a 5-year-old, seeing the water and suds overflow onto the floor was like playing at a water-park in the laundry room.
Okay, so that’s the only time I messed with my parents’ house that I can remember. I am sure my mom has other stories. So now, let’s talk about jobs that I have seen since working in the restoration world.
Last July, we received a referral to a split-level home. For argument's sake let’s call the insureds’ son, Billy. Billy, a 4-year-old who is fascinated with aquatic life decided he wanted to take a bath with his rubber fishy. Billy’s mom was busy making dinner and did not hear the water running in the bathroom upstairs. I bet you can guess what happened next….
This next one is not mischievous, but an unlucky break. Sissy, a 12-year-old girl who was helping mom and dad clean the kitchen had an “Oops.” Sissy pulled the refrigerator out and did not realize she clipped the waterline. The following day, Sissy’s mom went down to the basement to find an inch of water on the floor.
So, this next story made me chuckle inadvertently. Ronny, a 3-year-old Paw Patrol fan loved to see his friends swirl in the toilet, so much so, that his “friends” flooded the first floor of the home. I wonder how many times plumbers find toys in toilets?
Last one! This one was a whopper to say the least. Kevin, a 16-year-old, yes, I said 16, woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. He washed his hands and left the faucet running. Mom and dad woke up first to find that their entire 2nd floor was wet into the 1st floor. Yikes! Accidents aren’t just for the young kiddos.
What stories have you experienced or heard?
By Michelle Davis
By Michelle Davis