Happy Birthday, America! Now…#MakeWiseChoices
Most of you who know me -- know that I have a Bachelor’s degree in history. So, when the 4th of July approaches every year, my nerdy self likes to talk about the significance of Independence Day…. and considering my present career, talk about how this holiday is known for igniting house fires.
July 4, 1776, was a big day in American history: The Continental Congress solidified the Declaration of Independence, setting our fight for sovereignty into motion.
Fun Fact: John Adams believed that July 2nd was the correct date on which to celebrate the birth of American independence, and would reportedly turn down invitations to appear at July 4th events in protest. Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on July 4, 1826—the 50th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.
It is a day set aside to acknowledge those who blazed a path before us — it only seems fitting to celebrate with exhilarating fireworks and classic American BBQ fare!
“The sale, use, distribution or possession of fireworks or pyrotechnics in the state of New Jersey, except as hereinafter provided, is hereby declared by the legislature to be against the public health, safety and welfare of the people of the state of New Jersey”. That being said -- people purchase and set off fireworks every year.
Like clockwork, July 5, Savage Restoration always receives emergency fire claims due to roofs catching fire, sometimes igniting the entire house. Ladies and Gentlemen, is it really worth it? I can’t talk about firework safety, because that would be condoning the use of them. However, due keep in mind that if you use them, there are serious fines that are given out every year.
Most towns have scheduled showings of fireworks that have been planned to protect the homes and residents from danger. #MakeWiseChoices Go see one of them.
Let’s talk about BBQ’s!
Ring, Ring….Savage Restoration, How can I help you? “My gas grill was too close to my house and my vinyl siding caught fire.” Yikes, common sense would tell most that grills need to be far away from the actual home, but every year we receive a call with a similar fire scenario.
Other scenarios are preventable with proper maintenance, so clean your grill regularly and inspect it for damage or leaks before you turn it on.
If you do have a grill fire…
Once the flames are going, keep a safe distance between your grill and anything flammable (like your house, for example), and always keep children away from the direct area. Most importantly, be prepared to react quickly if flames get out of hand. Have a fire extinguisher within reach, and make sure you know how to use it before you light the grill. Everyone will enjoy their food more if your house is still standing.