April and May have always been the go-to months where Spring Cleaning would take place. A year’s worth of food, bad Christmas gifts, clearance rack clothing, and junk items are no match for a motivated individual who wants to de-clutter. Giving your home a good, thorough cleaning is more important than ever this year. Most of the country is currently under quarantine as a reactive measure to combat the spread of the coronavirus, COVID-19. If an excuse was ever needed to give your home a deep-clean; this is it.
What will getting rid of junk and wiping down my tables and counters do?
Researchers have found that a cluttered, dirty home contributes to stress and anxiety. In a time when we are forced to remain in our homes, we cannot afford to live amongst dirt and clutter. Aside from the mental benefits that come with a clean and tidy home, you are also reducing your risk of coming in contact with a surface that has been contaminated with a very infectious disease, such as COVID-19.
Ok, that sounds great. Where do I start?
When it comes to decluttering your home, you are going to want to follow a few simple steps:
1. Set Goals – create a plan that will help you reduce frustrations as you go.
2. Create a Sorting System – create three separate piles: Keeping, Tossing, and Storing.
3. Disposal – properly dispose of the clutter from your “Tossing” pile.
I am ready to do this! Any other tips that I should know?
Here are a few good tips to follow when Spring Cleaning:
1. We generally only use 20 percent of the items we own 80 percent of the time. Try to focus on getting rid of anything that you don’t use 80 percent of the time.
2. Don’t spend time worrying about the cost of something when you purchased it. The money has already been spent and is non-recoverable. Instead, think of the value you will add to your daily life while living in a clutter-free home.
3. Ask yourself if you truly love it. If you don’t, chances are you don’t need it.
4. Organizing your new clutter-free space will help fight future clutter.
This sounds great but may be too much for me to handle. What do I do?
Sometimes it’s warranted to hire a professional to come declutter and sanitize your home.
Savage Restoration should be #1 on your referral list to assist your clients in cleaning and sanitizing building materials, surfaces and contents following restoration industry standards, using professional cleaning products and EPA-registered cleaners and disinfectants.
You will receive superior service from Savage Restoration.
Savage Restoration is always willing to help you help your insured’s get their properties back to a pre-loss condition. Whether it be WATER, FIRE, MOLD or BIOHAZARD property damage we are “There When You Need Us”.